MASSAGE THERAPY- TREATMENT FOR MIGRAINES
Migraines a type of a headache is still somewhat mysterious. They are believed to be caused by neck alignment, chemical/hormonal changes, neurological problems, vascular problems, environmental irritants, food sensitivities, and/or blood sugar regulation. Migraines can be very severe and can last up to several days.
Both tension headaches and migraines have been effectively treated by massage therapy. Not only can massage help relieve headache pain, but it can also help to prevent headaches from occurring.
Massage may be helpful for the following reasons:
1. Massage releases the chemical serotonin, which can relieve migraine pain.
2. Massage may work by blocking pain signals.
3. Massage promotes circulation; increasing blood flow in some areas can help relieve pain.
4. Massage relieves muscle spasms and tension.
5. Massage may help decrease levels of the stress hormone cortisol while increasing the number of endorphins.